In the South Hams Federation the principal aim of PSHE is to allow pupils to develop the knowledge, skills and attributes they need to keep themselves healthy and safe in an ever changing society where they can thrive and be prepared for life past education. We cover the three core themes of PSHE, Health and Well Being, Relationships and Living in the Wider World. In the South Hams Federation, it is our intent to ensure that all children will be able to succeed in their ongoing education and future in Modern Day Britain.
We offer a nurturing learning environment in which each child is encouraged to develop their full potential and understand how to tackle many of the moral, social and cultural issues that are part of growing up. We provide our children with opportunities for them to learn about rights and responsibilities and appreciate what it means to be a respectful member of a diverse society. As a school, we believe that children are all individuals and all achievements and successes are celebrated and rewarded and therefore, we aim equip them with the skills to be safe, kind and responsible in the wider world. The teaching and learning of PSHE using The PSHE association program of study supports this.
- PSHE Association programme of study
- Mapping tool to ensure inline with new changes
- Well structured to ensure coverage and progression
- Implemented throughout whole school- consistent
- Develops the qualities and attributes children need to thrive as individuals, family members, members of society and the global community.
- Dedicated time for PSHE (weekly)
- Our PSHE curriculum is a golden thread throughout our schools and the wider community
- Each term focusses on a different topic to develop skills and make links to other areas of learning
- PSHE assemblies that also address mental health
- Links with our community (police, NSPCC etc)
- Introducing elicitation and end of unit tasks to monitor show progress.
- Links to British values
- Mental health and well being at the core
- Children equipped with skills to respond appropriately and know where to find help
- Builds on their knowledge so Children can apply their knowledge as skills
- Ever changing in line with changing society
- Consistent and regular delivery Improves physical and social well being of pupils
- Help Children become, aspirational, respectful and tolerant as well as mentally and physically healthy
- Children are prepared for their next steps in life and know where to find help and support where needed
- PSHE in the Early Years:
- PSHE sits within the areas of personal, social and emotional development and understanding of the world. From an early age, the children within the South Hams Federation learn to develop respectful communication and they are aware of the feelings and wishes of others. From EYFS the children participate in PSHE activities. The continuous provision is planned to provide the children with the opportunity to further develop the skills that they have learnt from this session and then to use them independently. The youngest learners in the school are exposed too and participate in upholding our British Values. The children are encouraged to listen, be kind to each other and share with others.
Through using the program of study from the PSHE Association, teachers will confidently deliver high quality lessons and have access to a well planned and structured curriculum tailored to the pupils’ needs
Our coherently planned curriculum equips young people for the real world where they have the confidence and ability to develop their skills and understanding when having new experiences, meeting new challenges and finding themselves in unfamiliar situations.