SEND Information Report

How does the school assess the progress of pupils and what would they do if my child was falling behind?
Pupil progress is regularly assessed by the teachers through observation, marking, conferencing and assessments. Assessments information by the use of progress work each half term and formal testing at end of each academic year. Pupil profile meetings are held every 6 weeks between the teacher, the assessment co-ordinator and the Head of School, where every child’s progress and attainment is reviewed. Pupils who are identified as not making sufficient progress will have an intervention programme created; tailored to meet their specific needs.

How accessible is the school environment?
The school is easily accessible for children with a disability.

Where can I find information about the school approach to pupils with SEN?
The school’s approach to pupils with SEN is documented in the school’s SEN policy. Further information can be found from the school’s latest Ofsted report. Links are provided below:

Policies: Click here

Ofsted Report: Click here

Who is the person responsible for children with SEN?
Every teacher has the responsibility for children with SEN in their class. The Federation SEN Co-ordinator, Hazel Acton, is responsible in ensuring this support meets the needs of the children and provides support and advice to teachers and parents where required.

How do I contact Hazel Acton, Federation SENco or arrange to meet them?
The Federation SEN co-ordinator can be contacted by telephone or by Email. See the ‘Contact Us’ tab on the home page of the school’s website. Alternatively, visit or phone the school and leave a message with the school’s receptionist.

What training or specialist expertise does your staff have around SEN?
School staff have been trained to provide a variety of specialist support. Where a training need is identified and the expertise not present, the school is committed to ensuring that training gap is promptly addressed.

What support can the school provide for children with SEN?
The school will provide a variety of support for children with SEN. This may include 1 to 1 intervention and group work. The school will also access external agencies when appropriate to enhance provision.

What further external support can the school access and when would this happen?
The school has access to several external agencies that can provide additional support. Where a need has been identified by the parents and/or by the school, the SEN co-ordinator will seek advice and support from the appropriate agency in order to meet the needs of the child.

How are parents/carers and children with SEN supported to share their views and concerns and work alongside the school?

The school has a variety of ways to allow parents/carers and to share their views and concerns. Teachers endeavour to be available at the end of the school day, if parents/carers wish to discuss their child. A Reading Home Work Diary is provided to enhance communications between home and school for all our pupils. In addition, the school holds formal parent consultations twice a year but parents are welcome to make an appointment at any time.

If I am not happy with the provision at the school, how can I share my concerns or make a complaint?
At Loddiswell Primary School we operate an “open door” policy.  If you are not happy with the SEN provision at the school, please contact the class teacher, Federation SEN co-ordinator, Hazel Acton, or the Head of School, to share your concerns. If the matter remains unresolved then parents should reference the School’s Complaints Policy.  A paper copy is available from the School office.

Where can I find information about the Local Authority’s Local Offer for children with SEN and their family?

Click here for information about the Local Authority’s Local Offer on the Devon County Council website