Hello and welcome to the governors pages for the South Hams Federation. My name is Jane Greaves and I am the current Chair of Governors, I have been a governor for 18 years and Chair for 8.
The Board of Governors of the South Hams Federation represents the five schools within the Federation (Kingsbridge, Loddiswell, Malborough CofE with South Huish, Modbury and Stokenham Primary Schools).
In accordance with the Government’s requirement for all governing bodies, the core strategic functions of the South Hams Federation Board of Governors are
Establishing the strategic direction, by:
- Setting the vision, values, and objectives for the Federation
- Agreeing the Federation improvement plan with priorities and targets
- Agreeing the Governors’ improvement plan with priorities and targets
- Meeting statutory duties
Ensuring accountability, by:
- Appointing the Executive Headteacher
- Monitoring progress towards targets
- Performance managing the Executive Headteacher
- Monitoring staff well being
- Engaging with stakeholders
- Contributing to Federation self-evaluation
Ensuring financial probity, by:
- Setting the budget
- Monitoring spending against the budget
- Ensuring value for money is obtained
Instrument of Government –
The South Hams Federation Board of Governors comprises:
- One Executive Headteacher
- Two Parent Governors
- One Staff Governor
- One Local Authority Governor
- Five Co-Opted Governors
- Two Foundation Governors, one of which is Ex-Officio (The Foundation Governors are appointed by either the Diocesan Board of Education or the Parochial Church Council of Malborough).
Total number of Governors 12
- The Full Board of Governors meets five times a year.
- Governors hold School Improvement Plan Meetings at least once a term to challenge and hold senior leaders to account and report back to the Full Board of Governors .
- The two Standing Committees meet as required.
- The Ethos Committee meets once a term.
- The Executive Committee (comprising Chair, Executive Headteacher, Deputy Executive Headteacher, Federation Business Manager and Clerk) meets monthly or more frequently as required.
All Board meetings are held in school time, allowing Governors the opportunity to meet the children and staff, undertake Monitoring Visits, monitor pupils progress, through book scrutinies and see all five schools operating on a day- to-day basis. The Governors are also welcome to enjoy lunch with the children.
Each year Governors are required to complete a Skills Audit to identify the skills, knowledge and experience to identify any additional skills or experience that the Board ideally requires. The outcome of the audit helps formulate opinion as to whether prospective Governors have the skills to contribute to effective governance and the success of the Federation.
The Board has an Improvement Plan and undertakes a Self-Evaluation review.
If you need to get in touch with either myself or the Clerk we can be contacted as follows: Mrs Jane Greaves & Mrs Tracey Kidd: c/o Loddiswell Primary School, Beechwood Park, Loddiswell, Devon TQ7 4BY. Tel: 01548 550295 email: email@example.com
South Hams Federation